Murray County License Center
Murray County Government Center
2500 28th Street
PO Box 57
Slayton, MN 56172
Dawn Butler, License Center Supervisor
Tessa Risacher, License Center Clerk
Sara Heintz, License Center Clerk
Murray County Government Center
What's New At the Murray county license center?
- Murray County license center is now accepting reinstatement fees in our office.
- CDL, Motorcycle and Vehicle Driver’s Manuals are available for purchase.
DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN PRE-APPLY?
You can Pre-Apply for a Driver's License or ID, schedule an exam and more ONLINE!
You will still need to visit a license office in person, but by filling out some of the information out online you may decrease the time you spend at the county. Be sure to bring your confirmation page and the documents listed on the confirmation.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has announced that it has extended the REAL ID enforcement deadline from May 3, 2023, to May 7, 2025.
Minnesotans can continue to use their standard driver's license or identification cards to board domestic flights or enter federal facilities until May 7, 2025.
Beginning May 7, 2025, a REAL ID-compliant driver's license or identification card or another federally approved form of identification will be required to board a domestic flight or enter a federal facility.
DHS said the extension is necessary, in part, to address the lingering impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on the ability to obtain a REAL ID driver’s license or identification card.
What you need to know about Auto Insurance
Insurance Information Required to Register Motor Vehicles
Minnesotans who are renewing license tabs or registering or transferring ownership of motor vehicles and motorcycles will need to provide proof of insurance and information under a law change that took effect on Jan. 1, 2016.
Every owner will need to provide the following information:
- Name of insurance company
- Policy Number
- Expiration date of the policy
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are your hours of business?
All services are available from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for Driver's Licenses, who should arrive by 4:00 p.m.
What services are available at the Murray County License Center?
- Motor vehicle registration renewal
- Motor vehicle registration from out-of-state
- Motor vehicle duplicate titles
- Motor vehicle registration - other
- Driver's license renewals
- Driver's instruction permit renewals
- Driver's license duplicates
- State Identification cards
- Snowmobile registrations
- Hunting licenses (including stamps)
- Fishing licenses (including stamps)
- All-terrain vehicle registration
- Watercraft registration
When and where are driver's license exams offered?
State Drivers Examiners will be at the Murray County Courthouse for exams on Fridays.
Class D road tests are by appointment only and can be scheduled at drive.mn.gov. Motorcycle, Class D and CDL written tests are walk-in.
All written tests are given from 10 – 11 a.m. Driving tests are given from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
What information is necessary to obtain various licenses and what are the applicable fees? Submit current driver’s license. Vision test and photo taken. Applicants under 18 years of age must have the application signed by a parent or legal guardian and notarized. All applicants must have their social security number with them at the time of application.
- Driver's Instruction Permit - Submit valid score sheet or current permit. Vision test taken. Applicants under 18 years of age must have application signed by parent or guardian. Applicant must bring in a certified Birth Certificate and Social Security card or a MN State issued ID
- Motor Vehicle - Registration Renewal - Applicant submits renewal notice that was sent to them via the mail. If the renewal notice was lost or not received, the applicant must provide the owners drivers license and vehicle license plate number so the office can access state records and issue the renewal. Current insurance information must be provided as well.
- Motor Vehicle - Registration from Out-of-State - Submit the foreign state title, or current registration if title is unavailable due to a lien. Applicant provides: Current odometer reading, and drivers license or state issued identification card. If there is a lien against the vehicle, the owner must provide the name and complete address of the lender, as well as the date of the loan. Owner's signature is required on the Minnesota Title application. Proof of current insurance coverage must be provided as well, for motorized vehicles.
- Motor Vehicle - Transfer of Minnesota Title - Buyer presents title certificate and driver’s license or state issued identification card. "Seller's" portion of title, including signature(s), date of sale, odometer statement, and damage and emissions disclosure statements, must be completed by sellers(s). Proof of current insurance coverage must be provided as well, for motorized vehicles.
- Motor Vehicle - Duplicate Titles - Motor vehicle duplicate titles are now available to be printed in our office. The owner must be present and fill out a request form. The cost is $20.50
- Motor Vehicle - Other Transactions Available - Plate, Registration Card, Sticker Applications and Special Plate Applications.
How do I obtain a golf cart permit? Contact Murray County Sheriff's Department 507-836-6168.